List of Blood Thinners
to Prevent Blood Clots
Here is a list of blood thinners -- of common foods, spices, herbs, teas and vitamins -- from medical publications.
thinners list is of foods we eat, that act as natural blood thinners. Scientists say that these can therefore interact with drugs like warfarin.1
Why? Because blood clot meds like warfarin have "a narrow therapeutic index," or range. Blood thinning foods could make the warfarin dosage too high, causing bleeding.
Our list of blood thinners may surprise you! It includes ginger, onions and garlic!
See: Articles and Video on preventing blood clots naturally
List of Blood Thinners of Common Foods
- Celery Excellent source of vitamin
K and molybdenum. Also has folate, potassium, manganese, pantothenic acid, vitamin B2,
copper, vitamin C, vitamin
B6, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin
A, dietary fiber
- Guavirova, a tropical fruit
- Lovage root Various
parts of lovage are used in salads, soups and broths, as a spice, or as
a flavoring ingredient in beverages and alcohol.
List of Blood Thinners: Spices
- Asafoetida, also
known as Hing, this is a crucial ingredient in Indian vegetarian cooking.
- Anise seeds are used as a spice in
baked goods and desserts, for example, Italian biscotti, which is made with
- Capsicum family includes sweet bell
peppers, chili peppers and jalapeno peppers
- Cloves are a spice with minerals like potassium, manganese,
iron, selenium and magnesium. Potassium is an essential electrolyte that helps
control heart rate and blood pressure.
and curcumin are anti inflammatory with many health benefits
- Fenugreek seeds are used as a
condiment to promote health and in India the leaves are eaten as a
List of Blood Thinners of Medicinal Herbs
- Andrographis is
a plant referred to as the “King of Bitters” used as a liver tonic
root, or wild celery us used for heartburn, runny nose, colds and
flower Arnica has long been used to treat injuries, aches, pains,
bruises and sprains
is used for achy joints (rheumatism), rheumatoid arthritis, loss of appetite,
and upset stomach. In food manufacturing, bogbean is used as a
Seed Oil is used
to fight inflammation such as arthritis and for skin health
- Bromelain is
a protein digesting enzyme obtained from the fruit or stem of pineapple
- Danshen Tea or pills help
improve microcirculation and high cholesterol. Danshen can be given by
injection for a stroke caused by a blood clot in the brain (ischemic stroke)
- Ginkgo biloba is used
to improve cognitive function, memory, mood, increased energy
- Ginseng has been used for centuries to stimulate the mind,
reduce stress, prevent aging, and increase sexual potency
- Hawthorn is used
to help the heart and blood
vessels for congestive heart failure (CHF),chest
pain, and irregular
heartbeat. It is also used to normalize both low blood pressure and high blood
pressure, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), and high cholesterol
Chestnut extract is used for circulatory problems (chronic venous
insufficiency) to reduce some symptoms of poor blood circulation, such as
varicose veins, pain, tiredness
- Poplar buds
and leaves are used in preparations as a blood thinner and for pain, like
- Quassia Wood is used for the treatment of rheumatism, joint pain,
swelling, redness and immobility and as a treatment for intestinal worms
- Rue, or herb-of-grace is a
garden plant, it is also grown
for its medicinal qualities to strengthen blood vessels and the eyes
Clover is used for varicose veins, poor blood circulation (chronic
venous insufficiency) including leg pain and heaviness, night cramps,
itchiness, and fluid retention (edema)
Bark used for headaches and migraines contains the chemical
salicin similar to acetylsalicylic acid in aspirin
Vitamin List of Blood
List of Blood
- Chamomile tea is used to help sleep and digestion
- Green tea has been found to have
potential interactions with warfarin
- Dong quai tea or pills are used for female health benefits to balance hormone
levels, increase sex drive in men and women, infertility, and ease menstrual
- Feverfew tea or pills are used for
migraine headaches and headache symptoms, including pain, nausea, vomiting, and
sensitivity to light and noise
- Licorice root teas are used for many things from upset stomach to the
common cold. Licorice root
high blood pressure warning: should not be used if one has high blood
tea is used for chronic arthritic pain and inflammation
Clover tea is used for blood health, hormone health, digestive health
and even protecting against certain types of cancer
- Passionflower tea is used to
calm and reduce anxiety, treat sleep disorders, and prevent depression
- St. John's
wort has been
used for centuries to make liquid extracts, pills, and teas to ease symptoms of
Interaction with Blood Clot Meds
- Researchers also found that Danshen interacted with aspirin.
- St John's wort interacted with clopidogrel or Plavix
Natural Blood Thinners vs Blood Clot Meds
Side effects of blood thinners like warfarin are dangerous. Why add these home remedies for blood clots to your diet?
- Scientists continue to analyse plants for ingredients, both to warn about drug interactions as well as finding safer natural blood thinners.
- Foods as home remedies for blood clots are SAFER!
- So far they have found that the most potent blood thinning plants are effective due to bioactive compounds such as polyphenols, flavonoids, coumarins and terpenoids. 2
Fortunately, these active ingredients are part of a plant-based healthy diet.
Your home remedies for blood clots may simply be adding more healthy foods!
That way you can avoid side effects of blood thinners as meds and stay energetic and feeling good!
1. Am J Health Syst
Pharm. Potential interactions between alternative therapies and warfarin. 2000 Jul
1;57(13):1221-7; quiz 1228-30.
Semin Thromb Hemost. The influence of herbal medicine on platelet function and coagulation: a narrative review. 2015 Apr;41(3):300-14. doi:
10.1055/s-0035-1549089. Epub 2015 Apr 3.
2. Curr Pharm Des. Natural Products with Antiplatelet Action. 2017;23(8):1228-1246. doi: 10.2174/1381612823666161123151611.
GO TO Health Discoveries HOME PAGE from List of Blood Thinners