Home Remedies for Cough Better than
Cough Medicine for Kids say Doctors
Here's home remedies for cough for kids, instead of cough medicine.
You'll be happy to know that a home remedy for coughing actually works better!
- Yes, scientists compared honey as a natural remedy for coughing, and discovered that it works better than cough medicine.
- No, don’t go to the drug store for your child’s cough. Why not?
There has been a call for a complete ban of cough medicine for children age 6 and under by an expert panel of the U.S. FDA.
Why? Because reports in the New Eng Journal of Medicine, as far back as Oct 2007 said that:
- Cough medicines don’t work as well, and are dangerous for kids.
- Too many kids have ended up in the emergency rooms because of an overdose of cough medicines.
Better to use a herbal natural remedy for coughing and sore throat remedy.
- A natural remedy like honey has other healing properties to help soothe a cough and for a sore throat remedy.
A Spoon Full of Honey Home Remedy for Coughing!
Instead or cough medicine, try honey. You might even have some handy, and it should even work better than cough medicine. And it is tasty! Here's why:
- Honey has been shown to be a safe natural remedy by researchers
headed by Dr. Ian Paul at Penn State University, for children aged one
and up. Why?
Kids with a night time cough were divided into groups and were
given one of three things:
- a spoonful of honey before bedtime
- the active ingredient in
cough syrup – dextromethorphan DM
- neither cough medicine nor honey
Which one won?
- Honey was “significantly better” at quieting a cough and helping the children sleep, compared to the DM or no treatment.
- Why? Honey is a rich source of antioxidant and anti-microbal
compounds that can aid healing. Honey also has a soothing effect by
coating the throat area that is irritated and that leads to a cough. And
Best dosage of this home remedy for coughing, honey?
- Children aged 2 to 5 were given half a teaspoon
- Kids aged 6 to 12 got one teaspoon
- Ages 12 and up had two teaspoons
The honey was washed down by a non-decaffinated drink.
(Source: Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine)
Best Natural Remedy: Honey Is Anti Bacterial
Honey contains strong natural antiseptics that can be eaten, or used topically on wounds.
- Honey is a well-known natural remedy in England, France, Japan,
Austria and New Zealand, where people have it on hand as one of their
best natural remedies.
People spread it on their kids’ scraped knees and slurp a teaspoon whenever they feel a sore throat coming on.
- They eat it to control ulcers by preventing the buildup of H-pylori in their guts.
- People use it for acid reflux as an acid reflux remedy.
- It’s been touted for healing leg ulcers for people with diabetes.
Research has now shown the unusual antibacterial activity of
honey, leading to a greater understanding of the ability of honey to
kill pathogenic bacteria in several different ways.
Honey a Super Healing Food?
More than a home remedy for coughing?
In studies, honey was effective against many different drug resistant bacteria, including E. coli.
- When Dr. Shona Blair used honey to treat E. coli she noticed
that honey "attacks" bacteria in such a way that they cannot develop
Honey was able to kill not only the E. coli, but many other types
of bacteria. (Dr. Blair is at Sydney University's School of Molecular
and Microbial Biosciences)
- The strongest against bugs, is manuka honey, from the manuka flower.
The manuka tree grows in Australia and New Zealand, and manuka honey is even said to be the best cure for acid reflux.
- No harm in trying this as
and acid home reflux remedy!
Other honeys made from clover and other flowers are also as
effective, but not as potent.
Researchers have found that these honeys,
such as Organic Manuka Honey
can even prevent a nasty super bugs that have invaded hospitals throughout the western world.
- Honey has amazing antibacterial activity, but there is more...
- Honey also has also been
shown to actively promote healing by directly stimulating human cells
that are important in the immune response to help disease and wounds
Looks like honey is a safe and tasty herbal natural remedy to have handy at all times, for wounds, acid reflux remedy, cough and sore throat remedy.
Best Herbal Natural Remedy and Home Remedies for Cough
We hope that you will be inspired to try honey as a herbal natural remedy. Who thought it would even be an acid reflux home remedy.
- Certainly a sore throat remedy and soothing to help for a cough.
GO to HOME PAGE from Home Remedies for Cough